Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Curtain Call
A multiplayer AR experience for real-time calls developed at Facebook Reality Labs.
The Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Curtain Call experience lets you and up to three friends transform into characters from the play and bring the magic of the stage show to life during Portal-to-Portal video calls. Hang out in the Hogwarts Great Hall, the Ministry of Magic, or the edge of the Forbidden Forest as you sling spells at one another and discover unique interactions and easter eggs alike. There are also 12 exclusive AR masks of the most popular characters from the play available on Portal, Instagram, and Facebook accessible by searching “cursedchild” in the Effects Browser.
I worked on this project start to finish, with responsibilities including:
– Generating materials for initial ideation and pitching (wireframes, mockups, etc)
– Leading game design meetings about the overall flow and individual mechanics
– Architecting a brand new, heavily modular networking system to serve as a platform for this and similar real-time calling experiences in the future
– Handling asset integration and facilitating work between art, sound, and engineering teams
– Optimization for Portal and mobile platforms